Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Eating like a Hobbit


Okay, I could've sworn I wrote this blog entry last night, but it didn't show up on my blog. So I'm going to rewrite it. Which is a good thing, because it was terrible last night. Anyway, yesterday (Actually, a while ago now. I found this post half finished), on a whim, I decided to eat like a hobbit for a day. In retrospect, not one of my better ideas. I feel really sick right now, and I don't know if it was from that, or not. Either way, I still have not eaten since supper last night, and I hope to never eat again... The following will be a documentation of my day as a hobbit
I woke up at 6:30. This was very convenient, because, in accordance with missionary week, all residents of Herritage Halls were encouraged to keep mission hours that day. So I got up, got a large bowl of cereal, checked Facebook, got in the shower, etc. Completely normal day. The bowl of cereal filled me up in its own artificial way, but I didn't have a whole lot of time that morning, so it fulfilled its purpose.
After class, I returned home, hungry again. So I warmed myself up some lasagna. I had 2 pieces. And after that, there were only 2 pieces left, which was hardly worth putting the pan back in the refrigerator for. It wasn't worth the space. And it definitely wasn't worth making more dirty dishes by putting it on something smaller. So I ate the other 2 pieces. Satisfied, I updated my status to talk about my second breakfast. It was then that I spawned my idea. After a little research, I found out that hobbits had 7 meals (not including snacks) every day. At that point, it was 10:00, meaning I only had 1 hour before it was time for elevenses. That was right during devotional, so I cooked myself up a couple of quesadillas for the trip over there, and a bag of cereal to eat during the talk. A most hearty meal.
Luncheon was right before my 1:30 class. I didn't have much time, so I got a granola bar and a bag of goldfish out of the vending machine, and ate them during class. I wasn't even that hungry yet. But I ate them anyway. I was ready for a nap during class, because I was comfortably full. I daresay I might've dozed off a little that day, because the auditorium was strangely warm and comfortable. My next class was English at 3:00, which left me with just enough time to get Afternoon tea on my way to class. I went back to the vending machine and got grapefruit juice and a danish. I figured that was about as close to an afternoon tea meal as I could get here at BYU. As Elder Holland said, "You shouldn't be serving tea anyway."
At this point, I was stuffed, and still had 2 meals to go. I decided to have breakfast for dinner, and I made myself 4 large scrambled eggs, and 3 medium potatoes worth of hash browns. That was a lot of food. I went to ward choir that night, very uncomfortably full, and planning one more meal. I decided to make some fried rice to top it off. I probably ate 3-4 cups of (cooked) rice with chicken and eggs and veggies. I invited my friend over to my apartment, and we both shared this meal together.
And thus ended my day as a hobbit. I don't think I'll do it again anytime soon, but it was a fun experience. And if there is a next time, maybe I'll work on snacking more.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait until you eat like Gaston (from Beauty and the Beast for those who didn't know). Do you think four dozen eggs is more less than one day's worth of meals for a hobbit?

    ReplyDelete